Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Memorable Mother's Day

For me, Mother's Day comes with a mixture of emotions. Having lost my mom, the day seems to be sad and sometimes I feel a bit more like Scrooge on this holiday. Even though I missed my mom with incredible depths, my husband and kids made my day exciting and happy by spending the day exploring along the Green River.


After a few cups of coffee and a wonderful breakfast, not cooked by me, we headed off towards the woods. There is still too much snow for hiking, so we drove as far as we could get up a bumpy mountain road. We slipped along the muddy trail and fish tailed once or twice, making the kids giggle and smile as my husband kept control of the truck.


When we reached the very end of our road- the end due to snow - my husband rolled down his window to look at the tracks in the snow. They were fresh, and they were grizzlies. We looked and searched some more to find two more sets, three different sets of tracks total- a momma and her cubs. What a treat to see on Mother's Day, a natural and wild mother taking care of her brood.


Not far from the grizzly tracks were the tracks of wolves. Although we didn't see the creatures with our own eyes, seeing their tracks and knowing their presence was close by, seemed to be enough for the day.


We took an afternoon rest and went out for the evening.




My soul quiets when we are out in nature. The peaceful views and the serene world around us reminds me that life is good, even when we are face with tragedies. My mom often retired to nature, teaching me the importance of being quiet and and allowing our souls a moment to rest. Thank you, mom.







On our evening exploration, we came upon a mother moose and her yearling calf. It won't be long and she'll boot him out, making room for her new young one. Thankfully, I still have a lot of time left with my children before they move on to lives of their own.



Sandhill cranes, swans, Canada geese, mallards, elk, deer, more moose, and plenty of pronghorn made our evening a very memorable Mother's Day.

1 comment: