Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Words in the Week: Nature in May

The calendar says it is May, and yet large flakes of snow keep falling out my window.  On days like today I begin to get that itch to be in the outdoors for a hike on an unknown-at least to me-trail, a drive down a rocky mountain road exploring the landscape, or day floating down a river in anticipation of what I might see around the river bend.  In these instances I enjoy reading about nature- whether it be in the mountains, the desert, the ocean or the plains- and the insights and experiences that others have while being there. 

Since it may be awhile yet before I can get to some of the places I love due to snow pack and quick changing weather, the month of May Words in the Week will focus on nature- the beauty of it and our relationship with it.

"Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.        ~John Ruskin

"He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.  ~Socrates 

"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.  ~John Burroughs 

No comments:

Post a Comment