Thursday, May 16, 2013

In my notebook: Fresh rain and the weather changes

A gentle rain has been falling since last evening. 

We need it, as always.  It's been so warm lately, even for our side of the state, that the land has started to dry out.  I have even watered a couple of times- already!  The surrounding landscape is still very green though, and oh so pretty looking around at what winter has left for us.  All that snow piled high was worth the endless days of waiting for it to melt.

Warm weather equals early run-off, and the streams and the rivers are beginning to bulge from the extra water.  Even our ditch has water, here again, very early.

I think about the quote: "Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while." ~Kin Hubbard

And here I am writing about the weather and unconsciously stating how much it means to our life, our surroundings.  Maybe it's because the changes the weather brings pulls me into the moment, and I can be present and at ease, at least for a while, amongst change.  Maybe that's why we all talk about the weather so much, we all know what it is at each moment through messages sent by all of our senses.  Weather is somewhat tangible, it's something we can grasp.  Although unpredictable, it's generally safe and comfortable.  If you're in the west everyone says- give it five minutes and it will change.  Even my kids say, "We better play outside while we can before the weather changes."

Perhaps I'll leave my thoughts with it's best to enjoy the weather, enjoy the change, enjoy the moment within it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment