Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Winter days

For the most part our winter has been very mild.  We have still had -40 days and a couple of full weeks in the negative degree range, but I don't feel myself anticipating the dread that the winter will never end.  Perhaps it's because I've gotten used to the snowy landscape, the low light where everything is gray and wearing sunglasses is a must to see where you are going, I'm not sure.  Maybe my body is finally used to the long season of winter and has adjusted.  It could be that I have gotten used to driving on icy and snow packed roads and no longer find them as a deterrent to getting out.  Talking to an older gentleman while waiting for an appointment he mentioned how fast the years go by as you get older, this could be another very likely reason I feel the time of this winter going by quickly.

One thing is for sure, my husband and I both recognized the sun staying up longer into the evening as we were driving home the other night, and as the soft light still persisted on towards 6:00 p.m. our minds were triggered to the difference and the changes taking place around us in our "natural" world.

Maybe too the long winters where I live are still teaching me to enjoy each day for what it is and where it is in the seasons, keeping myself fully aware of today- the present- and not wishing the days away into the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment