Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Words in the week: Cowboy songs in June #2

When I listen to the song "Across the Great Divide" by Kate Wolf, I think of the many miles I have driven over the plains, on up into the mountains, only to come down again into the prairie lands to view the very mountains I just drove over in my rear view that now drift away into the distance.

The lyrics of this song lament on how quickly life moves from today into yesterday, just as a drive across the state of Wyoming causes my mind to see the visible changes of the landscape taking place as I go along. The song has several meanings: finding oneself at a crossroads, realizing life's changes from who you once were to who you are today, and several others you're sure to pick up on as you listen along to the beautiful voices of Emmylou Harris and Naci Griffith. The whole song is worth reading, but my favorite lines come at the very end of the song:

"The finest hour that I have seen
Is the one that comes between
The edge of night and the break of day
It's when the darkness rolls away"

Enjoy...




No comments:

Post a Comment